I am trying to lighten my load this week, by having a simple week. That means cooking up some simple, yet delicious meals, that can be done in no time, and still taste super yummy, like this Chicken Teriyaki with Asparagus. This meal comes together in a snap, and will make you say “WOW!” My daughter says, that this Chicken Teriyaki with Asparagus, tastes just like Jack In the Box Chicken Teriyaki.
She loves Jack In The Box, and Chicken Teriyaki, is the only thing on the menu that she likes. So when your teenage daughter tells you that your recipe tastes like her favorite fast food restaurant, I felt proud! Now, she can get it wholesome, and homemade! Then, my husband took a bite, and he was floored! He said it tastes just like take out! How cool is that?
I was not looking to create a copycat recipe of any kind, I was just trying to make a simple weeknight meal, that is fast, and good, to get on the table, and my family, could not get enough of it! My husband thought it was a jar teriyaki sauce. When I told him that it wasn’t, he took a double take at me, like “what!!”
And this teriyaki sauce, is not scary at all. I though it would be. I was going for a thickened up glaze, to stir fry with chicken, and veggies, and it was spot on. Now, you can use other veggies if you like, but I went with Asparagus, because, I wanted to get my family eating more of it, and boy did it taste yummy! If your kids, do not like veggies much, they will love these asparagus!
I just sauteed chopped up asparagus, in a bit of vegetable oil, for about 5 minutes, to get them tender/crisp, then I removed them from the pan, and set them aside, Then I sauteed some bite sized pieces of chicken tenders, for about 5-7 minutes, with a bit of salt and pepper. While they were cooking, I placed the ingredients for my teriyaki sauce, it a small saucepan, and cooked it, until it thickened. Then, I added the sauce in the saute pan, with the chicken, and added back it the asparagus, to get everything coated, and mixed together. I served this over a bed of rice, and it was ready to go!!
Weeknight dinners, do not have to be scary, and everybody loves take out. Try this and you will see for yourself, how delicious, and easily, you can make copycat takeout yourself!
- 1 pound chopped asparagus
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced or pressed (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2-4 tablespoons honey, to taste
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; and chopped asparagus, and cook until tender/crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Remove asparagus from skillet, and transfer to a bowl. set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet, and add chicken and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on medium heat mix together soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic powder, brown sugar, and honey. Heat until gently boiling. Reduce heat to simmering.
- In a separate bowl, stir together cornstarch and cold water until dissolved. Add to sauce and stir until sauce thickens. Add in additional water until you achieve desired thickness. Add aparagus to skillet with chicken, and add in teriyaki sauce. Stir everything together to combine, and let simmer for a few minutes. Serve over rice.
*Disclaimer – please note that this post may contains affiliate links, meaning that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, I would receive a small commission. Thank you for your support of Savvy In The Kitchen. Please see my disclosure